I’ve always been fascinated by the way the Star Trek Universe has been put together, and have always wondered what’s the whole story of this universe. So, following up on my “archaeology”, I’ve been piecing together the data from our Star Trek sources.
ON MY OPINION, the best, and most carefully prepared episode is the original pilot, fussed over on all it’s details by Roddenberry himself. It has some of the best lines, and the most dramatic plot. Also, it establishes almost perfectly the whole functioning of the ST Universe.
BUT, on this chronologies, I’ll only focus on some data:
– SHIPS, classification and routes. Where did the Enterprise really go? Where was it stationed? What were they doing all those 5 years on that mission? Also, where are all the other ships?
– CREW, of the 430 of Kirk’s crew, and the 234 of Pike’s, what do they all do? I’ve always wondered, as they only select a very few for landing detail… Understandably, an episode cannot have hundreds of actors milling around, but we’ll only take that as a captain’s quirkiness to do everything himself.
– TECHNOLOGY, as a sci-fi show, there are all type of cool tech being used around, but sometimes some cool tech is ignored by the Federation… or explained away, case in point: the Romulan “cloaking” technology, which resulted in it being so unstable it disappeared the whole ship away (and I think it’s the basis for a novel)…
– ALIEN POWERS. Especially on TOS, aliens seem to have all sort of weird powers, it’s interesting how the UFP responds to each…
– EXPLORATION. ST is basically about “exploring” the universe and seeing what wonderful things are out there. But also, Earth begins colonizing far-away planets. I’ll note the colonies that spring up…
– SHIP decks. Did you know that the Enterprise’s Blueprints call for a regulation pool and a BOWLING ALLEY? As far as I know, only on the blueprints are this references, so I guess all captain’s either decided to do away with them, or the ship blueprints done were not the final ones. I would say they decided there were more important things for that space, although it would have made wonders for crew morale! Oh, and there is also an Arboreum, but I have read some novels that do place the crew in them, so that does exist, although the size of it is questionable… Well, the distribution of the decks is one where we’ll see most contradictions, but it’ll be fun to note what is where.
This will be a highly summarized data facts as I take them from the episodes, I hope it’ll be clear enough for fans to know the references. Imagine like they are an executive Starfleet summary!
CREW: 234 complement
CAPTAIN: CHRISTOPHER PIKE
HELMSMAN: NUMBER ONE
SCIENCE OFFICER: SPOCK
NAVIGATOR: JOSÉ TYLER
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER: GARISON
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER: DR. PHILIP BOYCE
TRANSPORTER CHIEF: NILS PITCAIRN
DATE: SOMETIME IN 2254.
PLACE: RIGEL VIII
EVENT: (FIRST) COMBAT! 2 DEAD (1 YEOMAN), 7 INJURED (SPOCK, TYLER). TRAPPED IN DESERTED FORTRESS AND ATTACKED BY WARRIORS W/SWORDS AND ARMOUR.
CREW: J.M. COLT Replaces former YEOMAN
EVENT: Broke the Kalar’s hold over the serfs. (taken from Star Trek 1 “novelization” of event)
EVENT: Kalars “swarmed” from Rigel X in support of the colony.
SHIP: ENTERPRISE, 232 CREW
DATE: 2254, 2 WEEKS Since previous event
PLACE: 18LY FROM TALOS GROUP
EVENT: RECEIVED: RADIO DISTRESS SIGNAL, “Not without any indication of survivors, no. Continue to the Vega Colony and take care of our own sick and injured first.”. Note: DISTRESS SIGNALS are mandated to be always answered, but due to the nature and time of the signal, it would be a Captain’s prerogative to decide to respond.
PLANET REFERENCE: “… business on Regulus or on the Orion colony.”
ALIEN REFERENCE: “Orion trader, dealing in green animal women, slaves?”
EVENT: INTERCEPTED DISTRESS MESSAGE:
SPOCK: “We’re intercepting a follow-up message, sir. There are crash survivors on Talos.”
GARISON: “Eleven survivors from crash. Gravity and oxygen within limits. Food and water obtainable, but unless…”
SHIP ROUTE: HEADED TO VEGA COLONY, CHANGE TO TALOS IV, “TIME” WARP 7
DATE: 2254, (18 LY AT WARP 7) LATER
SHIP ROUTE: ARRIVED TALOS IV
EXPLORATION: TALOS GROUP: No Ships or Colonies
EXPLORATION: TALOS GROUP: 11 PLANETS, TALOS IV CLASS M, OXYGEN ATMOSPHERE, TALOS III CLASS L [ST Charts]
EXPLORATION: TALOS IV: Our reading shows an oxygen nitrogen atmosphere, sir, heavy with inert elements but well within safety limits.
EXPLORATION: TALOS IV: Zero point nine of Earth.
PLACE: TALOS IV
EVENT: TALOS SYSTEM QUARANTINED, GENERAL ORDER 7
SHIP ROUTE: Unknown
2236-2254 TIME BARRIER BROKEN
-2254- PHASER PISTOLS
-2254- LASER CANNON, “can transmit the ship’s power, enough to blast half a continent.”
-2254 DISTRESS SIGNAL UPGRADE, SUBSPACE RADIO?
-2254- HYPERDRIVE, TIME-WARP (A precursor of the WARP DRIVE? Or just an experimental drive?)
-2254- ROCKETS as local impulse drive.
– TELEPATHY [TALOSIANS] “All right then, telepathy. You can read my mind. I can read yours.”
– ILLUSIONS [TALOSIANS] “An illusion placed in our minds by this planet’s inhabitants.”
– INTERACT WITH COMPUTER SYSTEMS [TALOSIANS]
– FAST MENTAL INFORMATION TRANSFER
Further investigation of these powers were denied by the aliens, and to avoid having anyone know of such powerful powers, the planet was quarantined, the only one with a DEATH PENALTY applied!
DATE: Approximately 500,000 years BCE
PLACE: Talos IV
EVENT: TALOSIANS Gain Warp Drive
EVENT: War, thousands of centuries ago
EVENT: Talosians came underground, found life limited here and they concentrated on developing their mental power.
EVENT: Dreams became more important than reality, they gave up travel, building & creating. They even forgot how to repair the machines left behind by their ancestors. They just sat, living and reliving other lives left behind in the thought record.
EVENT: Have a whole collection of specimens, descendants of life brought back long ago from all over this part of the galaxy.
SHIP: SS COLUMBIA (Survey Ship)
PLACE: Talos IV
EVENT: CRASHED IN TALOS IV, “DISAPPEARED”
EVENT: SENT RADIO DISTRESS SIGNAL
VINA: Crew: Born 2218-2267-
THEODORE HASKINS: Scientist -2236(+)
WINTER (from novelization) -2236(+) This record is highly dubious as writs indicate it might have been a greeting of Capt. Pike incorrectly identified as “Capt. Winter”. Or it might have been a scientist on the colony. The previous assumption is generally considered to be the case.
PLACE: TALOS III (Class L Planet)
EVENT: COLONY ESTABLISHED
Note: This colony is only known from a reference in cargo-box seen in the The Wrath of Khan.
You can read “The Cage” transcript here.
No comments yet.